NETHERLANDS WEST: ZUID-HOLLAND, UTRECHT and NOORD-HOLLAND
Per province from south to north
- Dordrechts Museum: paintings, prints and drawings with an emphasis on Dutch painting from the 17th century up to the present day.
- The Museum Boijmans van Beuningen. With a large collection of old masters, especially from the Northern and Southern Netherlands and the 20th century and contemporary works.
- Netherlands Architecture Institute (NAI), Museumpark 25. Permanent exhibition of architecture of 19th and 20th-century Dutch architecture. www.nai.nl
- In the Nieuwe Kerk a window of Reinoud van Vught can be viewed.
- In the Oranjekerk a window of the Reformed painter and stained-glass window artist Marius Richters (1878-1955) about the text in Revelations: ‘Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last.’
- Expositions at Continental Art Centre / art gallery CNV-Kunstenbond, Robert Kochplaats 342, Rotterdam. www.continentalart.org
- Glass studio Henk van Kooy, Aelbrechtskolk 6, Rotterdam. Exposition of his own work and that of others. www.henkvankooy.nl
- In the Ned. Hervormde Kerk, Kerkstraat 1, six monumental windows (2009)about the Creation by Kees van Kooy.
- In the St. Liduina Basiliek, Singel 104, 2two windows (2010) by Henk van Kooy.
- In the Grote- of St. Janskerk a sculpture/installation by Sjef Henderickx (2010).
- Bijbelmuseum Leerdam, Lingedijk 36. Hundreds of old Dutch bibles, Catholic, Lutheran, Reformed and Anabaptist printed between 1538 – 1950. Also illustrated bibles. www.statenbijbelmuseum.nl
- Nationaal Glasmuseum on the Lingedijk and a glass blowing workshop in the centre of Leerdam. In the spring of 2010 the Nationaal Glasmuseum in Leerdam will be reopened. www.nationaalglasmuseum.nl
- The Vermeer Centre Delft gives an overview of all Vermeer’s paintings (reproductions) and tells you about his life and way of working (in Dutch and English). www.vermeerdelft.nl
- The Oude Kerk.
- The Nieuwe Kerk.
- Zoetmulder-Icons, Kampveld 1 (corner Wateringsevest), 2611 DA Delft. Gallery for icons. www.russianicons.net
- Textielgalerie Handweverij Saligh Weven, Oude Delft 216, Delft. Gallery of textile artist Willy Pennings, who also makes paraments for churches.
- The St. Jans Kerk in Gouda, Gothic church famous for its windows. Also expositions. During Lent the Stations of the Cross by Willem Hesselink. www.sintjan.com
- The Mauritshuis. The museum houses a collection of world-famous paintings from the Dutch Golden Age (Vermeer, Jan Steen, Frans Hals, Paulus Potter and others). www.mauritshuis.nl
- The Gemeentemuseum gives a very good overview of the oeuvre of Mondrian. For the rest some works by late 19th and early 20th-century masters like Gauguin, Maurice Denis and Emile Bernard (all belonging to the postimpressionist group Les Nabis) and 20th-century masters like Francis Bacon, Gerhard Richter etc. www.gemeentemuseum.nl
- Pastoor van Arskerk (1964-1969) by Aldo Van Eyck, Aaltje Noordewierstraat 4, Den Haag.
- In Kijkduin (southern part of Den Haag at the coast) there is a work by the Quaker James Turrell in the dunes: a small crater with a bench; looking backward while lying on the bench you can see the horizon and the sky meet in an ellipse; in other words: the sky forms a dome.
- Permanent icons exposition of the painter Hans Verweij in the Stadsklooster, Westeinde 101, The Hague. Open on request.
- Houtrustkerk, Beeklaan 535, Den Haag. Every Sunday afternoon from 12.30 a.m.-3.30 p.m. the church is opened for viewing works by Inez van Maanen and Frits van Eeden. www.houtrustkerk.nl
- Galerie 44, Molenstraat 44, Den Haag has expositions with a spiritual and often Christian character. Open: Wednesday 13:30-17:00, Saturday 13:00-17:00. denhaag.okkn.nl/
Museum Beelden aan Zee. devoted to modern and contemporary international sculpture, with Atelier van Lieshout, Stephan Balkenhol, Fernando Botero, Tom Claassen, Tony Cragg, Jeroen Henneman and many others.
- The Lakenhal in Leiden with works from the 16th-century to contemporary art.
- Galerie Libbe Venema, 1e Binnenvestgracht 32, Leiden. Works by Libbe Venema.
- Seven paintings about Saint Jerome by Daniël Tavenier in the Sint-Jeroenskerk, Van Limburg Stirumstraat 24, Noordwijk Binnen.
- Expositions at Lektuurcentrum of the organization Bijbel Kiosk Vereniging, Hoofdstraat 55, Driebergen.
- Expositions at Hydepark, training- and retreat center of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, Driebergsestraatweg 50, Doorn. www.hydepark.nl
- Museum Catharijneconvent. The permanent collection of Museum Catharijneconvent comprises unique historical and art-historical exhibits ranging from the early mediaeval period to the 21st century. This collection offers an insight into the Christian art and cultural history of the Netherlands and its influence on Dutch society. www.catharijneconvent.nl
- The Dom church. Also has a beautiful cloister with garden. Also expositions. www.domkerk.nl
- St. Catharinakathedraal, Lange Nieuwstraat 38, with neogothic stations of the cross from ca. 1898 by Friedrich Wilhelm Mengelberg.
- Doopsgezinde kerk, Oude Gracht 270, with a triptych from 2007 about The wedding at Cana by Annemarie van der Wilt.
- Geertekerk, Geertekerkhof 22, with windows from 1957 by Johan Dijkstra.
- Expositions in the head office and services center of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, Joseph Haydnlaan 2a, Utrecht. www.pkn.nl
- Expositions in the Tuindorpkerk.
- Expositions in the Opstandingskerk/Immanuelkerk.
- Provinciaal JitsArt Museum. Sculpture garden on Landgoed Beerschoten, Holle Bilt 6, De Bilt with sculptures by Jits Bakker. www.jitsartmuseum.com
- Expositions in the Bergkerk Dr. Abraham Kuyperlaan 2, Amersfoort. www.bergkerk.nl
- Along the Vogelweg in Almere: The Green Cathedral (Gothic Growing Project) by Marinus Boezem, 1987. This work of land art is part of the collection of Museum de Paviljoens, Almere.
- Comenius Museum with a permanent exposition about Comenius, changing expositions and the Comenius Mausoleum with his grave. Comenius was a17th-century Czech pedagogue, philosopher and theologian who spent the last years of his life in Amsterdam. www.comeniusmuseum.nl
- Behind the church H. Joannes de Doper is a garden of over 2 acres. In this garden many herbs, plants and trees grow which are also mentioned in the Bible. Also on show are 40 sculptures of biblical and inspiring persons, from the Haarlemmermeer artist Karel Gomes. In addition the garden has a labyrinth. www.bijbelsetuininhoofddorp.nl (
- Expositions in Kerkcentrum De Ark, Muiderbos 36, Hoofddorp. www.deark.nu
- Frans Halsmuseum with works by Frans Hals and other 17th-century Dutch painters. Also 19th-century, modern and contemporary Dutch art. www.franshalsmuseum.nl
- In the Sint Bavo a window by Michel van Overbeeke and expositions.
- KathedraalMuseum, Leidsevaart 146, Haarlem belongs to the Nieuwe Bavo (Kathedrale Basiliek St.Bavo). The museum opened in 2016 with the collection of the old treasury and an exhibition of work by Jan Dibbets. http://www.nieuwebavo.nl
- Cobra Museum for Modern Art Amstelveen with Works by artists belonging to the CoBrA movement and other post-war streams. www.cobra-museum.nl
- The Oude Kerk
- The Westerkerk
- The Nieuwe Kerk (with a window by Marc Mulders). Regular exhibitions.
- Rembrandthuis. House where Rembrandt lived. With graphic work and paintings by Rembrandt and his contemporaries and predecessors. www.rembrandthuis.nl
- Galerie Mokum, located in the centre of Amsterdam, shows and sells figurative work, often also works by Christian artists like Henk Helmantel. www.galeriemokum.com
- Jewish Historical Museum, Amsterdam. The Jewish Historical Museum collects and shows objects and artworks that reflect the religion, culture and history of Jews in the Netherlands and its former colonies. www.jhm.nl
- Ons’ Lieve Heer op Solder. This hidden church 'in the attic' was built during the Reformation, when Catholics were forbidden to hold public services. A unique hidden church, complete with galleries, a large altar and around 150 seats. The museum has a magnificent collection of paintings, sculpture and silver providing an overview of Catholic history in Amsterdam. www.opsolder.nl
- Expositions in Linnaeuskerk Amsterdam.
- Expositions in Thomaskerk, Amsterdam, Prinses Irenestraat 36, Amsterdam. www.thomasopen.com
- Expositions at café and restaurant Dwaze zaken, Prins Hendrikkade 50. www.dwazezaken.nl
- Ignatius Galerie, Ignatiushuis, Beulingstraat 11. Exhibtions with contemporary art to stimulate the dialogue between church, art and society. www.ignatiushuis.nl
- Icons gallery H.W.C. Dullaert, Binnenkant 26, Amsterdam.
- Galerie Tóth – Icons, Nieuwe Spiegelstraat 68, Amsterdam. The gallery is specialized in Russian icons from the 16th till 19th century. The collection consists of traditional wooden icons and a large selection of brass travelling icons. www.tothikonen.com
- For old prints for affordable prices go to the Nieuwe Spiegelstraat, close to the Rijksmuseum.
- Gallery/Museum of the St. Adelbertabdij, Vennewatersweg 27 of Abdijlaan 26. Permanent exhibition of archeological finds, work by Vytautas Kaunas and changing expositions. www.abdijvanegmond.nl
- In the Hervormde Kerk in the Trompstraat 2 of Egmond aan Zee there are a pulpit and baptismal font made by the Protestant woodworker Cor Wijker (1890-1969).