Christianity and Art
ORGANIZATIONS AND WEBSITES
Eikastikon. Website about Greek art with a section about old and contemporary icons. With an extensive list of contemporary iconographers. www.eikastikon.gr/ (Gr, E)
European Center of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Monuments, Thessaloniki. The aim of the Centre is to promote scientific research in the fields of museology, museography, excavation, restoration, conservation, enhancement and study of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine sites, monuments and works at a European and international level. www.ekbmm.gr/english.php (Gr, E)
Greek Christian Artists Association. The organization has members in all fields of arts. Our goal is to unify the Christian Artists of Greece, demonstrate their talents within the churches but also in secular places. Our association counts about 100 members. www.christianartists.gr (Gr)
University of Athens: Iconography (Theory and Practice), George Kordis assistant professor.
- Benaki Museum. Artefacts from Greek history that are connected with the Greek Orthodox church. Also Coptic art.
- Byzantine and Christian Museum is situated at Vassilissis Sofias Avenue 22 in Athens, Greece. It was founded in 1914 and houses more than 25,000 exhibits with rare collections of pictures, scriptures, frescoes, pottery, fabrics, manuscripts and copies of artifacts from the 3rd century AD to the late medieval era. It is one of the most important museums in the world in Byzantine Art.
- Chios Museum of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Art.
- Antivouniotissa Byzantine Museum, a church converted into a museum featuring rare Byzantine art.
- Archeological Museum of Chania,Saint Francis Monastery, Chania.
- Byzantine & Postbyzantine Museum of Crete, Chania.
- Museum of the Monastery of Aghia Triada Tzaghaloron, Sfakia.
- Museum of the Monastery of Chryssopighi, Kissamos.
- Museum of the Monastery of Gonia, Rodopos.
- Museum of The Saint Catherine's Monastery, Iraklion.
- Museum of The Aghios Matheos Monastery, Iraklion.
- Ecclesiastic and Byzantine Museum of Rethymnon.
- Museum of the Arkadi Monastery.
- Museum of the Preveli Monastery.
- Monastery with mosaics.
- Florina Byzantine Museum.
- Byzantine Museum of Ioannina, old castle.
- Ecclesiastic Museum of Aghia Marina.
- Komotini Byzantine Museum.
- Byzantine & Ethnographic Museum of Servia.
- Archaeological & Byzantine Museum of Larissa.
- Archaeological & Byzantine Museum of Agia.
- Museum of the Olympiotissa Monastery, Elassona.
- Ecclesiastic Museum of Anatoli.
- Museum of The Sparmos Monastery.
- Is a centre of Eastern Christian Orthodox Monasticism. Set in an area of outstanding natural beauty, it is a treasury which houses and guards many artefacts and monuments of religious, national and artistic value. It is also a "workshop" where religious arts and crafts are still practised to this day, and where deep and genuine spirituality is allowed to flourish and bear fruit. As an institution Mount Athos is, and has been, the chief standard bearer of Orthodox Christianity. Mount Athos is situated in the entire third, eastern and most beautiful peninsula of Halkidiki, called the peninsula of Athos. It is the only place in Greece that is completely dedicated to prayer and worship of God. Has 20 monasteries. www.inathos.gr/athos/en/ (Gr, E)
- Historical Museum of The Aghia Lavra Monastery.
- Museum of Byzantine culture. www.eikastikon.gr/xristianika/contents_p_mouseia_mbp_en.html
- White Tower of Thessaloniki, Historical & Byzantine Art Museum.
- Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki .
- Veroia Byzantine Museum.
- Zakynthos Museum of Byzantine and Post Byzantine art. www.eikastikon.gr/xristianika/contents_metabyzantina_mouseia_zakynthou_en.html