In the past Macedonia has been under the influence of Byzantine culture, which is manifest in the churches and monasteries dating from the 9th till the 19th centuries and the many icons and murals that can be admired. The icons from this area belong to the most famous in the world. The influence of the Greek icon painters was dominant here.
- Important icon museum.
- In the village Gornji Nerezi there is a convent church that was built in 1164 with 12th-century murals that make clear that the basis of the Renaissance in the West lie here, reaching the West by way of Duccio and Giotto. The great artists of the early Renaissance must have been aware of what was made in Macedonia in the 12th and 13th centuries.
- The monastery in Lesnovo has very refined wood carvings. The church of the monastery has interesting murals with special themes.
- This village in the north east of Macedonia has a Byzantine monastery.
- The St. Joakim Osogovski monastery, very close to the Bulgarian border.
- In the region of Malesevski Planini (also called Little Switzerland) lies this charming village with the monastery of St Michael.
- Ohrid Icon Gallery is located within the complex of the church of St. Bogorodica Perivlepta (St. Clement).